How do you start your day? Do you press snooze five times? Walk your dog? Check the weather? Exercise? Have a quickie? Pull on your pants and run out the door?
Do you want to improve your morning routine? If not, consider it. Your morning routine sets the tone for your day: the better you start, the better your day.
There are tons of articles out there about what your morning routine should be. But we’re all different and ultimately you have to find the routine that works best for you. You have to figure out what you want to get out of your mornings, then try different routines to see what improves your life and what doesn’t.
Despite the multitude of morning routines and morning routine articles, there are certain activities that show up in almost all of them:
- Re-hydrate with a glass of water and eat breakfast. Here are some great ideas for easy, healthy, and make-ahead breakfasts.
- Prepare everything you need for your day the night before. Keep them in a place where they’re easy to spot: keys on hooks, phones charged, clothes chosen (or at least thought of), lunch packed. Need a reminder to do all this? Simply set an alarm in the evening.
- Wake up at the same time each day. Hate alarm sounds? Here are some apps that play music on your alarm on Android and on iPhone (make sure you switch songs every once in a while, otherwise you’ll end up hating it!)
- Do something that makes you happy, even if it’s just for a few minutes. Listen to music, do a puzzle, play with your pet, anything!
Some other morning routine ideas:
- Yoga: 6-minutes in bed, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes,
- Exercise (and it’s benefits): running, quick workout, gym, swim, stretch
Cat-Cow Back Stretch
Julia Cameron, Artist/Writer who created morning pages
More great resources to motivate you and give you ideas:
- Morning routine website: wide variety of routines you can learn and steal from
- Apartment Therapy site: how to create an inviting space for your morning ritual
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM): gives you detailed steps for a quick and simple morning routine
Have kids? Here are resources to improve their (and your) mornings.
- Establishing Morning Routines for Children
- More details and suggestions
- Software and Apps to the rescue
Did I miss anything? What do you do to start your day off right?
Next Post: Emotional intelligence and the highly sensitive person. Understanding your emotions and those of the people around you. Using your emotions to achieve maximum benefit in your life.
This post contains affiliate links to books I recommend. This means that when you click through to buy the product, a portion of the sale goes to me to help cover the cost of running this blog.